Thursday, July 23, 2015

Write your future banter

So earlier this week I had an interesting conversation with a man down the street. Everyday I walk by his yard and see his stack of boxes, labeled Bee Farm. One evening he was out on the lawn, so I asked him about it. He told me and as we talked I was smiling. He eventually asked me, "You like bees?" to which followed a few statements that mirrored a conversation in my fourth book.

“Alright alright. Next round's on me. But that means I want you guys to be on it tomorrow. Just because it’s calm now, doesn’t mean it isn’t still a beehive.”
“Cute!” Michelle squeaked.
“What...a beehive??” We all looked at her like she was mad.
Her eyes made contact with mine in the rearview and she said, “Well Elementally speaking they are the workhorses for all sorts of fauna. If you get past their angry side and y’know...the stingers, they’re actually kinda adorable.”After a small pause, Firefox shrugged “Alright, I’m on board.”
Thought about it for a second, “I wouldn’t ever be one though. Too short of a life span. Ha! I wouldn’t bee one! Oh wow I need sleep.”
We all laughed.



When I left I was all smiles, not just from the bee man, but from my response. It got me thinking back to other things I've said in conversation that I had actually written prior. I am a naturally chatty person, though I know many writers are not (at least verbally!) so I thought this would be an excellent topic for a tip.

Get your thoughts straight

The great thing about being a writer is that we get to think about what we say. It's the main reason why I prefer to communicate via text and email. Thinking about what you say, how you say it, before you do is our bread and butter. So use that skill in your stories, find what you are passionate about and make it come to life. Have a story in your past that you would like to tell clearly? Want to be able to deliver witty comeback? Simply want to be more interesting? Get it on paper first. 

Understand your thoughts

After the editing process I guarantee you that it will roll off your tongue more smoothly. It's like acting, except not as inflexible with the lines.  I didn't quote the passage to him, I merely utilized the elements that fit. This tip is also good for all those OOohh if only I had thought to say THIS, I would've shown them! moments, and be real, no matter how good a writer you may be...we all have those moments. *Shakes a fist at third grade bully who made fun of my glasses and books*

And that's kinda it.

Write more, write about things you'd like to say, before you find yourself in the position to say it. Prep yourself. Then when you find yourself at a party, you can talk about your book without anyone knowing, and seem interesting. Sharing stories with strangers is good, sharing you talent as an author is even better.



Also, stop killing bees.

No comments:

Post a Comment