Saturday, July 18, 2015

Pitch Wars!

Image and Summary from Brenda-Drake.com
What is Pitch Wars? Is it another contest? Oh, no, it’s so much better. Pitch Wars is a contest where published/agented authors, editors, or industry interns choose one writer each, read their entire manuscript, and offer suggestions to shine it up for agents. The mentors also critique the writer’s pitch to get it ready for the agent round. Writers send applications (query and first chapter of manuscript) to the four mentors that best fit their work. The mentors then read all their applications and choose the writer they want to mentor for the next two months. Then we hold an agent round with over a dozen agents making requests. Look for my upcoming blog post for more information coming in July, 2015.

So this is a thing one of my awesome beta readers let me in on, and this is my most current goal for the quarter. The application date range is Aug. 1st - Aug. 17th. I need to have a query letter (which is basically like a synopsis on steroids) and an interesting first chapter. So I've decided to use the opening for Book IV: Fair in Love & War since I feel that it is the strongest story I have; as well as the fact that it is the only one so far that doesn't require some serious rewrites! It is also closer to a full length novel than the first three, and with the exception that the characters have already been developed by this time, it is a good stand-alone novel.

I would love to win, or even be considered since this would me contact with industry professionals! This is absolutely the boost I need to take my manuscripts into the next level and that much closer to publishing! I'm so excited!

I still have 13 days to get myself prepared so maybe I'll update y'all on what I submitted when I do.

*Squeals with joy*

-Belle



No comments:

Post a Comment