Saturday, August 8, 2015

OCQ: Persephone


Character: Persephone

First seen: Book II-ch. I

Relation: Fox's kid sister

Discipline: Elemental Magic



ORIGINAL CHARACTER QUESTION: MAX KIRIN




I left Fox's flat with a lightened heart. It took a few moments to calm down from the incredibly rude interaction, when I did it seemed only logical that we had clashed. I felt a twinge of guilt for reacting so poorly towards Fox's friend, lord knows he deserves them, but even that couldn't keep my spirits down.

The sun was on my face, warming my soul from stem to stern. My vacation was coming to a close and seeing my brother was the perfect last day of summer; the darkness awaits me when I get home.

As I reach the outer edge of Crestwood, I take a sharp right and head through the woods. If I was lucky I could be back home before dawn.

But do I really want to? It would be so easy to just keep heading south and never turn back. They would find me, they always do. 
Sigh..."You know you can't do that, why hurt yourself by entertaining the thought."

With a jog, a sprint, and a leap I was soaring. Not flying exactly; merely light enough to ride the breeze by well-placed jumps. The feeling did wonders to calm my slowly boiling emotions; but it left my mind free to wander.

It's not that I really hated my troupe; some of them were good people. Jacob, the leader...he was the problem. His views on magic are warped, what he seeks is evil in nature. He may be a sweetheart, but it's his actions that puts all of us on the dark side. 

He wasn't always like this, when we initially clicked it was over our mutual desire to see destructive corporations pay. The troupe we built together were activists of the greatest kind; the kind that can do something about it.  It started off simply, I would bury a tractor in dirt, he would melt their tires, the group would sign our work and be off before morning.

Then suddenly things turned; radical. 

The jobs were bigger, dangerous. He became obsessed with our goals and I think that's what ultimately pushed him over the line.  Sadly, due to the bonds of witch troupes, it pulled all of us down with him. Turning us from activists to terrorists. We, as witches, follow our leaders; even if they drag us to hell.

Our powers even morph to fit. I can't cast an elemental spell without causing some sort of damage to someone now. All of us are like this. I know it depresses at least half of us.

Seeing Fox brought all of this to the surface. It was great seeing him smile again; to know there are witches out there that are truly good people, working for the betterment of the world.

I missed those days in Alaska when we were thick as thieves. I was only 8 years old but I was in love. I had dreamed that we would one day be married; but as our relationship matured I realized he was the brother I never had. I wished so badly that I could be trouped up with him again; to do good, together. 

Alas, that is not the path I'm on. The path that lay before me is covered in darkness and brambles. I assume it could only be a matter of time before I'm dead or in prison.

I glide gracefully back down to earth and decide to rest before leaping again. I plopped in the grass and promptly removed my shoes. Ahh, that feels amazing. Not only would the grass feel good on my tired soles, but there is no better way to ride the wind than being able to walk it with your toes.

With a flick of my wrist a thick vine burst from the ground; its tip split open into three parts as it smiled at me.

"Hey Ury."
It clicked a few times in acknowledgement.
"I don't know...I guess I just feel stuck." My fingers traced circles and lines into the dirt.
I turned its 'head' to me and let me continue.
"I'm sure it's just that I don't want to end my vacation, right?"
It snapped its jaws at me, if it had eyes I could swear it'd be glaring.
"What? You think there's something to this?"
It slunk down against the grass and crawled its way up my leg.
I can't really tell if it actually is communicating, or if my mind just fills in the gaps easier with Uranus around; either way its look made me sigh once more.
"I think we're going to have to revisit this idea...at a time when I'm not being expected."

It promptly squeezed my leg and returned to the soil. I brushed myself off as I stared longingly at the moon. Soon I would be off on the wind again, back into the den of iniquity that was my home. I have settled in my mind that this path, this life of darkness, is not mine. 

Escape would be mine, no matter the cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment